Bharat Biotech started operations in 1996—the year Dr. Krishna M. Ella and Mrs. Suchitra Ella returned from the US to set up a company dedicated to creating innovative vaccines and bio-therapeutics. Dr. Ella was returning from a research and teaching stint in the US and he wanted the new company to be an intellectual capital powerhouse. In the years that followed, he assembled a team of bright scientists and led the creation of path-breaking vaccines.
Today, Bharat Biotech has over 160 patents. As a leading biotechnology company, we seamlessly straddle the worlds of product research and manufacturing to create effective vaccines and therapeutics for patients around the world.
1. COVAXIN® becomes the 1st COVID-19 vaccine in the world to be rolled out for children.
1. In January, DCGI approved Emergency Use Authorization of COVAXIN®
2. COVAXIN® demonstrated 77.8% vaccine efficacy against symptomatic COVID-19 disease & proven to neutralize the variants - B.1.1.7 (Alpha), P.1- B.1.1.28 (Gamma), P.2 - B.1.1.28 (Zeta), B.1.617 (Kappa), B.1.351 & B.1.617.2 (Beta & Delta).
3. In November, WHO issued Emergency Use Listing for COVAXIN®
4. In December, COVAXIN®received approval for emergency use in Children 12-18 years of age.
1. India's 1st indigenous COVID-19 vaccine, COVAXIN® successfully completes preclinical testing, phases 1 & 2 clinical trials and commences largest ever phase 3 clinical trials across the country to evaluate safety & efficacy.
1. Bharat Biotech has acquired Chiron Behring from GSK in March 2019 to become largest rabies shot producer.
2. Rotavac 5D was launched by Hon’ble Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi.
3. Chirorab, earlier marketed under the trade name Rabipur®, was launched on November 13th, 2019.
4. Bharat Biotech hits the landmark figure of 100 million doses supply of Rotavac.
WHO prequalifies TYPBAR-TCV and ROTAVAC vaccines.
TYPBAR-TCV demonstrates 87% efficacy in the world’s first Typhoid Human Challenge study carried out at Oxford University.
Bharat Biotech becomes the first company in the world to file a global patent for Zika vaccine.
ROTAVAC—rotavirus vaccine was launched by Shri. Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India. It becomes the first vaccine under the “Make-in-India’ initiative.
Launches JENVAC®—a safe and highly-effective vaccine that protects against all the known strains of Japanese encephalitis.
Launches Typbar TCV®—the world’s 1st clinically proven conjugate Typhoid vaccine.
Bharat Biotech & University of Maryland collaboratively receive USD 4 Million ‘Strategic Translation Award’ from the Wellcome Trust for clinical development of a new life-saving conjugate vaccine for Invasive Non-Typhoidal Salmonella (iNTS).
Bill Gates, co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Chairman of Microsoft, meets Dr. Krishna Ella, CMD of Bharat Biotech, regarding the development of Rotavac—Bharat Biotech’s affordable diarrheal vaccine.
Launches HNVAC® – India’s first cell culture-based H1N1 (Human Inactivated Influenza A virus) Swine flu Vaccine.
Senior General Mr. Than Shwe, Chairman, State Peace & Development Council, Union of Myanmar launches Comvac 5 PFS® (Pre-filled syringes)—Pentavalent Combination vaccine—Bharat Biotech’s best-selling product.
Dr. Manmohan Singh, then Prime Minister of India, presents FICCI Award to Bharat Biotech by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry for “Excellence in Science, Technology and Technological Innovation”.
Launches BioHib®—India’s first indigenously developed and manufactured Haemophilus Influenza Type B (Hib) vaccine
Dr Julie Gerberding, Director, Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) launches the chromatographically purified vero cell rabies vaccine, INDIRAB® (then Rabirix®).
Announces a manufacturing and marketing agreement with Cambridge-based Acambis, plc., for developing Japanese Encephalitis vaccine—a neglected disease.
Bharat Biotech pioneers REGEN-D®—India’s first recombinant human epidermal growth factors for Degree I & Degree II burns, skin grafts, and diabetic foot ulcers. Simultaneously launches its 2nd bio-therapeutic product, ZELECT®.
Bharat Biotech felicitates Dr. John B. Robbins—the father of polysaccharide vaccines for his tremendous contribution to the world of vaccines.
Becomes the first Indian company to receive two grants from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation through Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH) to develop new vaccines against Malaria and Rotavirus.
Chandrababu Naidu, then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh launches BIOGIT®—India’s first probiotic yeast and Bharat Biotech’s first bio-therapeutic product.
Expands capacity to make 100 million doses of Revac-B+® annually to become the largest manufacturers of Hepatitis B vaccines in the world.
Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam launches Revac-B+®—world’s first Cesium Chloride free Hepatitis B vaccine created by Bharat.
Dr. Krishna M. Ella & Mrs. Suchitra Ella start Bharat Biotech in Genome Valley, Hyderabad, India—the first company to set up operations in the biotechnology park.